Monday, October 26, 2015

That mythical runner's high?

I am an adult onset runner. There, I said it. It took a long time for me to get it, and I'm not sure I've completely got it yet. For example, yesterday I would have said I've never had runner's high. I've heard about it lots. I've had some crappy runs, some ok runs, some good runs, and even a few great runs. That's not necessarily times or pace, though that's part of it.

No, I'm talking about how it felt. But today I might have had that runner's high, for a little bit. Overall it was 7K, just under 49 minutes, running around the neighbourhood. I was trying to relax and run easy. Just along 24th St beside the soccer field, the sun came out, and I realized my body was running along without me having to push, my legs felt great with a nice smooth stride, and I was happy. At that moment it felt like I could go on forever, though of course that didn't last that long.


It's great, especially at my age, get out and go for a run. Yes, there's been some creaky bits lately, my low back especially, but none of that bothers me when I'm running. Till I get tired of course. Then its gone. Today the first 6 K were superawesomesauce. The last K was a bit of a slog uphill, and starting to feel tired, but it all ended well. Walked, then stretched after.

I EARNED that organic crunchy peanut butter with peanuts and Nutella on fresh bread!

So, is that runner's high? If it isn't, then how will I know when it happens? Has it happened to you?

5 comments:

  1. Definitely a runner's high. Lucky you! I haven't felt it in awhile - though I came pretty close once last week. Hope it's a regular thing for you from now on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to get a runner's high, but there have been too many years of pain and disappointments. I still like to run, but I experience fear with every step. If I get through a short run without pain, all I feel is relief.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've also heard it described as 'flow'. I quite like that. I always say the crappy runs, of which I've had lots, earn you those magical ones where everything just feels good. Yep, worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a runner's high to me. Also 'adult onset runner' is just about the best thing I've ever heard!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you can say you know what it feels like to feel like you could just keep going forever. That's part of runner's high. For me, it also includes becoming hyper-aware of my surroundings, drinking in the sights, sounds and scents of being out on a run. This is being at one with nature, the universe or whatever. At the same time my own senses and perception of self-awareness of things like breathing, effort and foot strike are diminished to the point of feeling like I'm floating happily along.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!