Friday, November 1, 2013

Domestication

Laptop domestication is well underway. After a couple false starts the upgrade to the latest OS was uneventful. I think now I accidentally paused the download. It's tuned to the bluetooth receiver for my ear glasses, so I can play music into my ears without bugging anyone else. It doesn't work if I close the lid though. I'm still getting used to the size of text on screen. It's razor sharp, but just a hair smaller than I'd like. Some applications I can do a pinch to embiggen it, others not.

Curtis was in for his followup visit. It turns out he is growing whiskers from that growth just above his dew claws. They might have been ingrown a bit. The vet has never seen anything like it. Our cat is a mutant. This is probably some specialized cat breeding program that is doomed to failure. Curtis has been fixed, though we don't know if he passed along his genes before MEOW got him.

It was nice today, and slowly got cooler and cloudier. In a similar way, I was thinking this morning that it would be good to get out for a run, then I got a bit creakier as the day went on. I need to get downstairs for some stretching and core. It's gone by in an awful hurry. A bit of time writing before work, picking Linda at lunch time, zooming around town through dreadful traffic and some complete clusterfucks in two separate parking lots, a vet visit, and then some peace and quiet for more writing.

It is very difficult to write when Celina is snoozing on my shins, and Curtis is trying to sit on me as well. We have discovered that cat paws can work the touch pad very well, which makes for interesting results when writing blind, with your hands or arms anchored, and some random things happening via touch pad commands. We're going to have to work on this.

The first day for NaNoWriMo is 3411 words. Hardly deathless prose. I'm wincing a bit. What I thought was a good action start seems a bit wooden, and there are some POV problems. I figure after writing 50K words with 5 main characters, I'll either figure out POV or it will kill me. Still NaNo is all about pounding out the words, and editing later. I keep saying that to myself. And no, nothing here is worth a snippet. You'll know when I get there.

2 comments:

  1. Nicely done for day one! I hit 2575, myself, but had to force myself to stop. Eyestrain from coding all day coupled with typing half the evening away will do that. Mine is feeling a bit choppy, but I kind of like it. It fits with the unknowns, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, fabulous first day word count. Getting ahead of the game will help greatly when you get to the middle of the month and bogged down (at least that's what happens to me).

    Yay, Curtis - for getting better and for being a mutant! Hope you find some writing solution since the cats seem to want to participate in NaNo, too!

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!