Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Swimming to an iphone 4

Back in the pool on Monday. Swam a really nice warmup. There had been a girl swimming a really slow, really wide side stroke in my "fast" lane, and after a couple laps she moved over. Yay! Common sense is not dead.

Warmed up thinking about catch, and elbows up, and head down. Keeping tabs on how my body was feeling. Good. Happy to be in the water. Did 5 x 100 on 2 minutes. These were all done in about minute and 43 or 44 seconds, which I'm pretty pleased with. Cool down. A little over a half hour total.

Did some core work and stretching in the dive tank, and a short deep water run, very easy. My legs didn't know quite what to think of that. Soaked in the hot tub, and boy is it nice!

Then over to Market Mall to join the line for an iPhone 4. I got there about 8 and there were already 30 people ahead of me. More joined the line. A while later the Apple people got us organized, figuring out who wanted what and matching the line to the number of phones in stock. Not many today, there was only 6 people in the line behind me when they finished that.

So now I have one. Set up my home wi-fi network again, but I'm not totally sure the phone recognizes it or is getting web pages through it. It's been fun setting things up, and figuring out how it works. Linda is going to laugh when she realizes what ring tone I'm using for her. And I did my very first video, using Amelia the Cat as a reluctant subject.

I've been trolling through the many, many, MANY apps out there. Holy crap are there ever a lot of them, and most of them seem to be on the wrong side of useful. Any advice on which ones are working for you iphone users out there? And no, this was not written on the iPhone. I'm still training my thumbs how to type. It's funny, my eyes have no idea where any of the letters on the keyboard are because my fingers know. I very rarely actually look at a keyboard.

Low key today, short walk, and a massage.

So please, iPhone users, tell me which apps you love, which you hated, and most of all, the game you wish you had never loaded because you can't stop playing it.

7 comments:

  1. I don't have one but J does. He never puts the stupid thing down and plays games on it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have an iPhone. I may have some app info.

    iPace
    Pace Converter
    Flixster
    iMDb
    Dictionary
    Urbanspoon
    Metric Converter
    TipTap
    Shazam
    NY Times
    USA Today
    Sleep Cycle
    Headache Lite
    Facebook
    Days Until
    The Weather Channel
    Evernote
    Scrabble
    Words with Friends
    SolFree

    And about 11 different photography apps if you're interested.

    I have more, but don't want to overwhelm you... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, you got your phone! Let's see, apps...
    WeatherEye
    MSN
    Globe and Mail
    Mapquest
    Units
    Skype
    Google
    Sleep Cycle <- most useful app ever
    Yellow Pages
    Tim Hortons
    Starbucks
    OneTap (to access movie theatre listings)
    Yelp
    Urbanspoon
    OpenTable (to make dining reservations)
    CIBC
    CBC Hockey
    Game of Life
    MapMyRide

    ReplyDelete
  4. See...this is what happens when I am out and about blogging only sporadically...You finally got an iPhone? Congrats!

    Here are some of my favorites. Some are repeats, but I figure you wouldn't mind two endorsements.
    Google Reader
    iWant (very useful when I am traveling and I want a bank or a bar or a gas station)
    Yelp
    NPR Addict
    Zippo lighter
    Personal Trainer
    Lose it (calorie tracking tool)
    Words with Friends
    Tap Tap Revenge
    Shazam
    AAA discounts
    AED Dictionary
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Urbanspoon

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have an iPhone myself, but I have many friends that do and they all seem to thoroughly enjoy it! (some never leave the house without it) Enjoy your new technology and have fun with the apps - there seems to be trillions to choose from!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Keith! I'm a little behind in blog world...congratulations on IMCA!

    And congrats on the iPhone ;-) I love mine. I admit, I'm not a huge aps person, but this is what I use:

    Facebook
    Big Day (countdown to specific events)
    AP Mobile
    Gratitude!
    Dropbox (this is a great ap/service)
    Byline (RSS feed)
    DirectTV (schedule recordings on our DVR)
    TrivialPersuit
    The Weather Channel
    Todo (this is linked to "Toodledo", we use it for grocery lists and other ToDo things, awesome if you do lists with another person).
    What to Expect (great when you are pregnant, hmmmm...not sure if that's one you'd use. LOL).

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. I also use: www.trainingpeaks.com/m but you have to access it t/r the browser. It's written to run specifically on smart phones.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!