Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A 45 min ride is weirdly short now

It wasn't so long ago that 45 min on the bike nearly killed me; my ass was about to march up my back and kick my brain. My legs were ready to hand in their resignation notice, and my hands would be long since numb.

It's been raining here, and that means it's cold. It rained hard yesterday, pretty well all day. There was spots of rain off an on today. By this evening it still wasn't warm, but at least the roads had dried up. I figured go anyway. Dressed up a bit, and headed out for some race pace and spin work.

Churned around the neighbourhood, which was far more exciting that it really needed to be. One driver backed out of his driveway, then saw me coming along. He didn't really pay attention, but then I could see his eyes figure out how fast I was going. He didn't know whether to finish backing out, or go back into his driveway. Abort, retry, panic. He settled for freezing, which at least I could cope with. In the end I rode around him. I nearly ran over a human being walked by a dog. The dog was paying attention, but the human just walked out on the street without looking. I think he couldn't hear a car so assumed it was ok. Idiot. I was thinking of yelling when I got to perihelion, just to see if I could make him wet his pants, but I didn't. I was working too hard. I'm not sure he ever noticed me, since he was turning the other way as I passed. Maybe I should have yelled.

In between all the obstacles I warmed up, did 10 min at race pace, some easy spin, then two 5 minute sessions essentially all out. Easy spin to cool down. 50 min total. Stretched after. Legs feel pretty good. Forecast for Sat in Canmore is good, which is meaningless at this point. I don't know why I looked.

7 comments:

  1. you are ready to rock the course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a beautiful course- have fun out there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we are going to have great weather on Sat! I am still pumped from Sunday and and am so ready to race again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of funny comments in this one. Love the person being walked by the dog and the legs kicking the brain. Also, it is my pet peeve when people using common spaces (trails, sidewalks, etc.) have no concept that other people exist in the world and actually may want to use the same space they are. RUDE. Thank goodness the dog was paying attention! So, you're racing this weekend? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it funny how distance just becomes 'relative?' 45 minutes, pfft, not even worth changing your clothes;) Hope your stuff gets there soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have unfinished business and are going to take care of it on Saturday...Look it dead in the eyes and DO IT.

    :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, personally I like those drivers who, even though they SEE you entering into the crosswalk while on a run, continue their turn and make you stop because, hey, otherwise they'd have to wait three seconds and that deep-fried doughnut they're going out for isn't going to eat itself.

    @$$holes.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!