Thursday, April 2, 2009

Getting back into it

I'm continuing to feel better. Not good enough to go to the pool this morning but better. Better enough to get on the bike for a reasonable workout. Did a bit of yoga before.

Warmed up 15 min
4 x 11/4 at just a hair under time trial pace. Same gear, but 85 to 90 rpm rather than 90+. Heart rate went to mid zone 3 just like I wanted it to.
cool down 15 min. The first few minutes of this was some accelerations to get my legs going, and break them free of rpm monotony.
Did some more stretching after. Overall it feels really good. Just in the last minute of the last two intervals I was beginning to get a bit of lactic burn, just a little. Even though my heart rate was still where I wanted it, and was breathing easy, I took it as a sign that my system wasn't delivering enough oxygen.

In other news, we still have snow here, but it hasn't snowed since the weekend. The forecast says isolated flurries on Friday. My wife says we got 54 cm of snow in March, according to City records. That's 21 inches for the metrically challenged of you. My back yard is on the north side of the house, and there's still well over 2 feet of snow in most of it. The problems happen when the snow on the roof melts in the sun, and runs down into the shade, where it freezes.

I've seen a few people riding on the roads in town, but these are the same nut cases that ride year round. There is still massive quantities of gravel and other guck outside of the car tracks, and there's still ice built up next to many curbs. So yes, one could ride on the roads, as long as you realize you're at the mercy of every driver that comes along, and there is no place to go.

Lots of people racing in New Orleans this weekend. Have fun, and be safe! Looking forward to reading the stories, and seeing the photos.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know why WE never went metric. It just makes sense. Everythings in 10's...so much better, I'm very jealous. Not of the snow part, though. Feel better!

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!